What should you do if you're a victim of a hit-and-run crash?

A hit-and-run accident is one in which a driver hits another person and then flees without pulling over to make sure the other driver is okay, to report the accident or to await police. Hit-and-run crashes put lives at risk, since there's a potential that those hurt could end up going without the medical care they need.

In the immediate moments after a hit-and-run crash, the steps you take could make or break your case against a fleeing driver. Having a plan before you get into an accident can help, so here are a few things you should do if you're involved in this kind of collision.

Remember the evidence and write it down or take a photo

A license plate number, the names of witnesses, the color of a car or even what the driver looked like can help the police identify the person who fled the scene. That information could help them find the person who struck you, so you can file a claim against him or her.

Call 911 immediately

Call for help immediately. You need medical care, and the sooner the police know to look for the fleeing driver, the better chance there is that he or she will be apprehended.

Get in touch with your attorney

Finally, get in touch with your attorney. There are legal options open to you, especially once the hit-and-run driver is apprehended by the police.

You can help yourself by getting as much information about the hit-and-run driver as possible before you speak with your attorney. With good luck and investigating, you may be able to recover your losses.

Source: FindLaw, "Victim of a Hit and Run? 5 First Steps to Consider," Daniel Taylor, Esq., accessed March 02, 2018

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Find Out If You Have a Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

The Viorst Law Offices,P.C.

950 South Cherry Street Suite 300 Denver, CO 80246 Toll Free: 888-371-2803 Phone: 303-872-5712 Fax: 303-333-7127 Map & Directions

What should you do if you're a victim of a hit-and-run crash? | The Viorst Law Offices, P.C.