What should you do if you're hurt in a hit-and-run crash?

After a hit-and-run crash takes place, there are a few things you can do as a victim to help protect yourself and your rights. The most important thing to do is to remember the make, model and color of the vehicle. If you can obtain the license plate number, do so. If you're injured and unable to collect that information, witnesses nearby may have the information and give it to police. If you talk to others around you, it's a good idea to ask them to stay at the scene until the police arrive.

Call the police as soon as possible. The sooner they know that someone has fled the scene, the better. They can track the driver easier and send you immediate emergency help. Don't leave the scene or try to catch the driver who fled. This could lead to further issues. Instead, wait for the police arrive. If you're injured but can move, try to move yourself to a safe area, like a sidewalk or parking lot, until the police arrive.

People tend to leave the scenes of accidents for a few reasons. They may not have insurance, for example, or they may not be licensed to drive. Some others may leave the scene because of being intoxicated or not realizing they caused an accident.

If the police can't find the driver who hit you, it's possible to obtain coverage by seeking a claim against an uninsured motorist policy. If you don't have access to that, you may need to rely on the police to find the driver before you can make a claim.

Source: Infinity Auto, "Hit and Run Accident: What to Do Next?," accessed Nov. 08, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Find Out If You Have a Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

The Viorst Law Offices,P.C.

950 South Cherry Street Suite 300 Denver, CO 80246 Toll Free: 888-371-2803 Phone: 303-872-5712 Fax: 303-333-7127 Map & Directions

What should you do if you're hurt in a hit-and-run crash? | The Viorst Law Offices, P.C.