How do you file a claim for lost wages?

After a car accident, one thing you might be worried about is the time you're missing from work. Depending on the kind of job you have, you may not be sure how to show the wages you've lost and be in a position where you're not bringing in any income while you're off the job.

For example, consider a freelancer who gets into an accident. The individual can't work, so he or she isn't bringing in an income. A freelancer typically has no paid sick time or vacation time, so there's no guarantee that the individual will come back to a job. This is someone who is at serious financial risk when involved in a crash.

It's important for all people who are involved in collisions to be able to make a lost wages claim. This claim details the wages you've lost now and that you may lose in the future as a result of the crash. You may need to file claims for lost earning capacity and lost wages separately.

So long as the other driver is at fault, you can submit a claim to the driver's insurance company for your lost wages. You'll want to write down what you should have earned in the days of work you missed. You should also show what you stand to lose based on the time you expect to be off work. In a situation where you may lose your job, it's vital that you make that clear. Your attorney should help you negotiate so that you can get your lost wages back in any insurance settlement you receive.

Source: FindLaw, "Making a Lost Wages Claim," accessed Oct. 04, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Find Out If You Have a Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

The Viorst Law Offices,P.C.

950 South Cherry Street Suite 300 Denver, CO 80246 Toll Free: 888-371-2803 Phone: 303-872-5712 Fax: 303-333-7127 Map & Directions

How do you file a claim for lost wages? | The Viorst Law Offices, P.C.