Get A Tough Negotiator & Strong Litigator On Your Side Today

How do you file a claim for lost wages?

On Behalf of | Oct 4, 2017 | Personal Injury |

After a car accident, one thing you might be worried about is the time you’re missing from work. Depending on the kind of job you have, you may not be sure how to show the wages you’ve lost and be in a position where you’re not bringing in any income while you’re off the job.

For example, consider a freelancer who gets into an accident. The individual can’t work, so he or she isn’t bringing in an income. A freelancer typically has no paid sick time or vacation time, so there’s no guarantee that the individual will come back to a job. This is someone who is at serious financial risk when involved in a crash.

It’s important for all people who are involved in collisions to be able to make a lost wages claim. This claim details the wages you’ve lost now and that you may lose in the future as a result of the crash. You may need to file claims for lost earning capacity and lost wages separately.

So long as the other driver is at fault, you can submit a claim to the driver’s insurance company for your lost wages. You’ll want to write down what you should have earned in the days of work you missed. You should also show what you stand to lose based on the time you expect to be off work. In a situation where you may lose your job, it’s vital that you make that clear. Your attorney should help you negotiate so that you can get your lost wages back in any insurance settlement you receive.

Source: FindLaw, “Making a Lost Wages Claim,” accessed Oct. 04, 2017