What to do if you’re struck by a motor vehicle

As a pedestrian, your biggest concern is being struck by a motor vehicle. This holds true no matter who you are or where you are. You know that this type of accident can (and probably will) result in serious injury or even death.

Even if you take steps to protect yourself, there's always a chance you could be struck by a motor vehicle. Should this happen, here's what you need to do (if possible):

  • Move to safety: This is easier said than done, but if you're able to move to safety, such as to a sidewalk or parking lot, it makes sense to do so. Of course, don't attempt to move if it can result in additional injuries.
  • Call 911: If you're able to do so yourself, immediately make the call for help. If not, ask a witness or bystander if they can do so on your behalf. The goal here is for a police officer and ambulance to quickly arrive at the scene.
  • Receive treatment: Above all else, make sure you receive treatment at a local hospital. Even if you think you only have minor injuries, you could be wrong. A professional evaluation and treatment is a must.

Once your health is in order, collect information pertaining to the accident, such as witness statements, the police report and any other evidence that backs up your claim.

You can then learn more about your legal rights for holding the negligent driver responsible. This often means taking steps to obtain compensation for your injuries and other damages, such as lost wages and permanent disability.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Find Out If You Have a Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

The Viorst Law Offices,P.C.

950 South Cherry Street Suite 300 Denver, CO 80246 Toll Free: 888-371-2803 Phone: 303-242-8644 Phone: 303-759-3808 Fax: 303-333-7127 Map & Directions

What to do if you’re struck by a motor vehicle | The Viorst Law Offices, P.C.