Do you know how to prove lost wages?

A car accident has the potential to impact your life in many ways, including your ability to earn a living in the future. And depending on the severity of the accident, it's possible that you'll find yourself out of work for an extended period of time (or even permanently).

While you have the legal right to submit a lost wages claim, keep in mind that your success is tied largely to your ability to provide supporting documentation. This can include but is not necessarily limited to the following:

  • Wage documentation: In short, you'll want to collect pay stubs and other documentation, such as tax returns, that outlines your income. This will show how much money you were earning before the accident.
  • Notes from your medical team: It goes without saying that you should only take time away from work if your doctor suggests doing so. You should obtain at least one note from a doctor stating your injuries, treatment, prognosis and how much time you need to take away from work.
  • Information from your employer: Ask your employer, typically someone in the human resources department, to write a letter that outlines the days you missed from work, your pay grade and your hourly rate or salary. This backs up your wage documentation.

When you take the right steps to prove lost wages, you position yourself to receive compensation for this type of damage that often results from a motor vehicle accident.

While the information above is a good start, it's not always enough. That's why you should have a clear idea of how to submit a claim for lost wages, how to calculate what you should receive, common challenges and what you can do to protect your legal rights.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Find Out If You Have a Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

The Viorst Law Offices,P.C.

950 South Cherry Street Suite 300 Denver, CO 80246 Toll Free: 888-371-2803 Phone: 303-242-8644 Phone: 303-759-3808 Fax: 303-333-7127 Map & Directions

Do you know how to prove lost wages? | The Viorst Law Offices, P.C.