How to report a distracted driver

Even if you understand the importance of driver safety, it doesn't mean everyone else takes the same level of caution. While driving, it's possible that you'll come across a number of distracted drivers, all of which have the ability to cause an accident.

While you don't have to report every distracted driver to the police, there are times when this is necessary. For example, if you feel that the person is a risk to others, you don't want to wait to take action.

In regard to taking action, here are three important steps:

  • Move out of the way: Don't take matters into your own hands, such as by attempting to stop the driver. Instead, leave plenty of space to prevent an accident.
  • Make note of key information: This includes things such as location, license plate number, color and make and model of the vehicle.
  • Call 911: The dispatcher will ask you for the information detailed above, as well as what you're seeing. Be as clear as possible, as the details you provide will help police find the person and get them off the road.

Unfortunately, taking these steps doesn't guarantee your safety. You could be injured in a distracted driving accident at any time.

If this happens, call 911 for help and administer first aid to any injuries. Once you receive medical treatment and understand your injuries, contact your insurance company to provide an account of what happened. From there, you can turn your attention to taking steps that allow you to receive compensation for your injuries and damage to your vehicle.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Find Out If You Have a Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

The Viorst Law Offices,P.C.

950 South Cherry Street Suite 300 Denver, CO 80246 Toll Free: 888-371-2803 Phone: 303-872-5712 Fax: 303-333-7127 Map & Directions

How to report a distracted driver | The Viorst Law Offices, P.C.