A lawyer is someone you turn to for specialized legal advice. A lawyer is someone you put your trust in when you find yourself in a difficult spot. Since you're relying on this person for so much, you need to make the right decision the first time around.
Choosing a lawyer is easier said than done, especially when you take into consideration all the legal professionals who are willing to help.
Fortunately, when you know what to look for in a lawyer, it's much easier to find the perfect person. Consider the following:
- A high level of comfort: If you're comfortable working closely with a lawyer, you won't have any concerns about asking questions and following their advice. However, if you always feel like you're bothering the person, you won't receive the level of service you require.
- Experience and knowledge: There's never a good time to turn to a lawyer who doesn't have experience and knowledge in the field in which you need help. Even if it allows you to save money, it could cost you in the long run.
- Clear fee structure: You should set a clear fee structure up front, which allows you to understand exactly what you'll be charged for. It's unfortunate, but some lawyers look for ways to overcharge clients. You need to protect yourself against this with a clear fee structure and agreement in place.
- Communication: Is the lawyer available to regularly communicate with you? Do they have a team around them to help maintain a clear line of communication? If it's difficult to get in touch with your lawyer, it's difficult to know if they're doing what they should.
- Past record of success: A lawyer who has helped people in your position in the past is one you can place your trust in. You can be more confident in their ability to win your case.
Even if you follow these tips for choosing a lawyer, you could still make a mistake that leads you to a relationship that's not in your best interest.
If you come across any form of legal malpractice, such as commingling funds or missing deadlines, it may be time to fire your lawyer and learn more about your legal rights.
Our website and blog touches on many areas of legal malpractice, so don't hesitate to search for more information.