How does insurance work after a crash?

When you're in a crash with another driver who is found to be at fault, you may be wondering whether the person's auto insurance will cover the crash. If the person doesn't have enough, will you be left with the bill? What kinds of limits are you looking at?

These are good questions that should be answered by understanding how auto policies work. Whether a person has full coverage or the state minimum, there is some coverage available to you.

The first thing to know is that liability limits play a role in your case. The limit is divided among different kinds of damages, too. For example, If the policy states $25,000/$50,000/$10,000, it means that a single injury's maximum payout is $25,000, the total for all injuries is $50,000 and the property damage liability limit is $10,000.

There is also a limit for when someone is killed or injured and you're at fault. The limit is called the bodily injury limit. If it's $100,000, for example, the insurance agency will pay out a maximum of $100,000 to the family for the other party's death.

What if there isn't enough insurance coverage to cover the treatment for your injuries? In that case, you may be able to use your own insurance if you have uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. If not, there is a potential to file a personal claim if you choose not to settle with the insurance company. Your attorney can help you decide if the settlement you're being offered is enough or if you need to pursue further compensation from the company or the at-fault driver.

Source: FindLaw, "Automobile Insurance Policy Coverage," accessed May 03, 2018

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Find Out If You Have a Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

The Viorst Law Offices,P.C.

950 South Cherry Street Suite 300 Denver, CO 80246 Toll Free: 888-371-2803 Phone: 303-872-5712 Fax: 303-333-7127 Map & Directions

How does insurance work after a crash? | The Viorst Law Offices, P.C.