How to get your landlord to make repairs

Many renters know just how hard it can be to get a landlord to make repairs. Even when you think your apartment is so far into disrepair that it's unsafe, you may struggle to get anything accomplished. You don't want to pay for these repairs yourself, and you may not know how to make them, so how do you get your landlord to do it?

1. Write a letter. Your landlord may brush you off when you call or talk in person, but many are more likely to respond to a written request. This also establishes very clearly that you did ask for the repairs to be made, which can be helpful if they're still not made and then you're hurt.

2. Contact the city. If your landlord keeps blowing you off and you think there's a serious issue, call for an inspection of your own apartment. If there are issues, the city then issues violations or follows up for you, and your landlord may be far more eager to act with the local government getting involved.

3. Don't pay the rent. This is drastic, and it could lead to your landlord taking legal action to evict you. However, it is sure to get his or her attention. If you do this, make sure you also have documented the problem thoroughly, especially by taking pictures.

Even if you do all of this, you could still be injured before your landlord gets around to making those repairs. This can bring about high medical costs and could cause you to lose money when you can't go to work. Be sure you know how to get compensation for your injuries and all costs associated with them.

Source: Brick Underground, "The 7 best ways to get your landlord to fix stuff in your apartment," Virginia K. Smith, accessed Oct. 20, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Find Out If You Have a Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

The Viorst Law Offices,P.C.

950 South Cherry Street Suite 300 Denver, CO 80246 Toll Free: 888-371-2803 Phone: 303-872-5712 Fax: 303-333-7127 Map & Directions

How to get your landlord to make repairs | The Viorst Law Offices, P.C.